Backpacker Accommodation in the heart of Edinburgh
Royal Mile Backpackers is a centrally located hostel with a HUGE personality. It’s the perfect base for exploring Edinburgh! We’re a friendly and homely hostel situated smack bang in the city-centre overlooking Scotland’s most famous street – The Royal Mile. Located halfway between Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood palace, you can’t get much closer to the city centre attractions; bars, cafés, restaurants and nightclubs.
Unfortunately, with the new announcement of travel restrictions to Scotland, we have had to change the way we do things slightly at Royal Mile Backpackers.
In accordance with Scottish law all travellers must now take a day 2 PCR test after they arrive and isolate until they can present a negative test result. Currently this change will affect people travelling before the 20th of December, when it will then be reviewed.
Unfortunately as all of our facilities are shared, we are not able to be used at a quarantine facility. Because of this we are asking all guests travelling from overseas in the next three weeks to contact us as soon as possible to change or cancel their booking.
We will still be accepting guests from overseas, provided they have already completed their day 2 test and isolation in a different facility, and can show proof of this on arrival.
If you are travelling from within the UK, we will also be asking for proof of residency on arrival in addition to one of the following:
COVID vaccine certificate COVID recovery certificate a negative test result within the last 48 hours
All bookings within the next two weeks may be changed or cancelled free of charge. If your booking is between the 13th and 20th of December, we can still offer a full refund on cancellations, provided you advise us of this within the next week. Unfortunately non-refundable bookings will not be waived, so this will have to be a date change only.
If you need to change your booking to a different date we would like to offer you to use your deposit towards the date change and receive a 10% discount off of the new dates (this can be a flexible date, so you can change it again later on if you need to).
We are devastated by this news and apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please contact us as soon as possible to advise us of what you would like to do if this change affects your booking.
If you have any questions at all just let us know! Much love, The Royal Mile Backpackers Team
Important info if you're staying with us soon!
We’re excited to open up again, but there’s going to be a few changes to the way things work at Royal Mile until the COVID situation is under control. So please read on below on the changes at the hostel before you make a booking with us:
- From now until Hogmanay reception will be open from and 17:00-23:00 on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday night as well as Friday, Saturday, Sunday morning 08:00-11:00 Please get hold of us via email before your stay if you need access to the hostel or luggage storage outside of these times and we’ll arrange with our sister hostel High Street. For midweek stays check out our High Street Hostel down the road.
- Breakfast will not be served
- Guests are allowed use of in-house kitchen
- Towel hire has returned
- Extra cleaning shifts daily
- Check in from 17:00-23:00. Please contact us if you are arriving outside of these hours.
- Check out at 10:00.
- Guests are allowed use of main lounge
- Free hot drinks in our main lounge
- Hand sanitizer and hand washing stations throughout hostel
- No walk in reservations. Please book online.
- Some events during the week with our sister hostels High Street and Castle Rock. Ask at reception!
- Touch points in hostel cleaned 4x per day
- No laundry services on site
Welcome to Royal Mile Backpackers in Edinburgh
Royal Mile Backpackers is located in the Heart of Edinburgh. After a big day of seeing the sites, we will have a fire waiting for you in our cosy lounge.
Watch our Video
All of our staff have been trained to assist you with recommending walking tours, restaurants, bars, night clubs and anything else you may need.
We also have sister hostels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh’s Royal Mile Backpackers also offers two sister hostels in the Scottish Capital, High Street Hostel and Castle Rock Hostel.
Whether you’re using us as a base, or just stopping in for a night –
The Royal Mile Backpackers offers all the facilities you require on your trip as well as events most nights.